Junior Academy Meetings (JAMs)
Who are JAMs for?
- The JAMs are open to any 6 to 17-year-old who can already play chess (even at a basic level)
- A parent/guardian or other responsible adult is encouraged to attend with the junior - and very strongly encouraged to do so for 6-8 year olds or children with any additional needs
What are JAMs for?
To support young people’s enjoyment of chess and the development of their skills by:
- Providing a pleasant, well-equipped playing environment
- Providing chess coaching and training from experienced adult players
- Connecting juniors and coaches from clubs and schools across the area
- Organising competitions and representative teams for juniors at all levels of experience and skill
When do JAMs happen?
- The final Saturday of each month (except December). 10.00am – 12.00 noon
- Currently planned JAMs will run: May 28; June 25 ; July 30; August 27; September 24; October 29 ; November 26; January 28; February 25; March 25; April 29
Where do JAMs happen?
The home venue for the JAMs is The Queens Hall of the Jubilee Central, HU1 3SQ - in central Hull
- Access on Saturdays is from the Albion Street car park side, via. Waltham Street – through the large green door.
- On rare occasions, and with notice, the JAMs may be held at different locations. For example, JAMs may meet at a chess tournament; or may meet as guests of other venues in the HDCA area.
Session fee & Pre-booking
- A session fee is charged on the day, on entry, for each junior – to help cover some of the cost of renting the venue, learning materials, prizes etc.
- £2 per session
- £16 for a season ticket (11 sessions)
- However, do please contact us if this fee will be a definite obstacle to your child’s participation
- Space at the venue is quite limited – so that parents/guardians/ responsible adults are strongly advised to pre-book to secure a space for their children ahead of each meeting - using this BOOKING FORM
- The JAM Curriculum - what chess skills we will be focussing on and how we will be doing so
- How the JAMs Work - what activities, events and competitions are coming up
- The JAM Team - who are the coaches?
- JAM Rules and Code of Conduct (including full details of our Child Protection, H&S, and GDPR policies and procedures
If you have any other queries or questions, please feel free to contact: John Cooper - email@example.com